From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] When will KDE 3.5 be marked as stable?
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:36:23
1 On Tuesday 04 April 2006 11:12, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > Surely the question isn't whether the upgrade is perfect, but whether
3 > it's better than the current stable release?
4 It is not.
5
6 > 'find /usr/portage/kde-base -name '*3.4.3*.patch' |wc -l' shows 15
7 > patches, 3.5.1 has 11 patches, and 3.5.2 has 6 patches. (I realise
8 > that isn't a perfect patch count...)
9 Some of the patches are not in files/ for 3.5.x series. Also, many of the
10 problems faced are more severe than 3.4.x series up to now.
11
12 > As far as I can see the *ebuilds* for kde work fine. If the newer
13 > versions of kde have the problems you describe, then they should be
14 > package.masked.
15 There's a big difference between theory and practice. We already get enough
16 request to mark 3.5 stable (hell we had request to mark it stable when there
17 were at least two systematical crashes for everyone), two weeks after 3.5.0
18 release IIRC, if we were to put it under package.mask, we really would be
19 submerged by bug reports and mails about that.
20
21 Anyway, ~arch is not technically broken as we patch that as soon as humanly
22 possible, so it's not a p.mask kind of problem (a part from umbrello, but
23 that's no news at all).
24
25 I can ensure you we'd like to mark 3.5 stable as much as you do, probably even
26 more as there are fixed things, but it's not possible for now.
29 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
30 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE