From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] When will KDE 3.5 be marked as stable?
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 09:15:54
1 On 04/04/06, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò <flameeyes@g.o> wrote:
2 > usable state-, KDE 3.5.1 was a bit better but stills some patches were
3 > needed, KDE 3.5.2 is in portage since less than a month, and already had a
4 > few patches with revbumps to few memleaks and crashes, a new kdelibs revbump
5 > is also planned, and umbrello 3.5.2 is regressed compared to 3.5.1 (that
6 > still, vanilla, wasn't usable for activity diagrams at all).
7
8 Surely the question isn't whether the upgrade is perfect, but whether
9 it's better than the current stable release?
10
11 'find /usr/portage/kde-base -name '*3.4.3*.patch' |wc -l' shows 15
12 patches, 3.5.1 has 11 patches, and 3.5.2 has 6 patches. (I realise
13 that isn't a perfect patch count...)
14
15 >From the handbook: "The use of ~arch denotes an ebuild requires
16 testing. The use of package.mask denotes that the application or
17 library itself is deemed unstable."
18
19 As far as I can see the *ebuilds* for kde work fine. If the newer
20 versions of kde have the problems you describe, then they should be
21 package.masked.
22
23 I think at this point it does more harm than good to be lagging behind
24 the current upstream kde - last time I checked the kde bugzilla
25 wouldn't even accept bug reports for the kde currently marked stable
26 as it was too old, and if bugs can't be filed then it's clearly
27 "unsupported upstream" and time to upgrade.
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list