From: solar <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder on dependencies.
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:03:29
1 On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 17:39 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:09:03 -0700 Donnie Berkholz
3 > <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
4 > | I disagree. You shouldn't expect to be able to compile things against
5 > | it unless all DEPENDs are installed. The whole point of DEPEND is to
6 > | be able to do things like this; remove all things not necessary for
7 > | your programs to run, not to compile.
8 >
9 > I'm glad to see you're volunteering to join in with Ned in going
10 > through every single ebuild in the tree and fixing them up to list nth
11 > level dependencies. It's going to be really fun watching you update
12 > several hundred packages every time a library's compile dependencies
13 > change between versions.
16 Please do not put words in my mouth. I've already asserted to you
17 several times that the definition of RDEPEND= is unclear and that we do
18 infact need a new set of depend atoms. R=(runtime) not Buildtime for the
19 NNth time. Till then please focus your efforts on something useful that
20 does not break other peoples systems or projects.
21
22 > See, if libfoo-1.0's headers don't need (say) boost, but libfoo-1.1's
23 > headers do, with what you're proposing you'd have to go through and
24 > update the dependencies of every single package using libfoo.
29 solar <solar@g.o>
30 Gentoo Linux
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list