From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] remove system set?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:08:11
1 On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > From that angle, if you wouldd remove the system set, would you add its
4 > contents to the Portage ebuild? Portage itself doesn't need a compiler
5 > or might not need gawk, but whatever it runs (ebuilds) often need so.
6
7 Nope - I'd add them to every ebuild, and only where needed. That's
8 the whole point.
11 > Adding libc, a compiler, linker, shell, etc. to almost any every ebuild
12 > looks pretty much useless to me. Adding deps for all regular tools an
13 > ebuild uses (bash, sed, awk, cut, wc, ...) seems like error-prone and
14 > pretty much useless to me as well. So, there is the system set which
15 > just is the central place where those packages are recorded.
16
17 It is only useful for situations where people want to do something
18 unusual. Some would argue that this is the only situation where
19 Gentoo is useful. If I wanted a system just like everybody else's I
20 guess I'd run Ubuntu, if not Windows or OSX.
21
22 In any case, I do agree that getting there is associated with pain. I
23 just like to think that getting there "someday" would be nice. I know
24 that a systematic effort exists in mathematics to try to reduce all of
25 math to a minimum set of axioms and have everything else be formally
26 derived. I consider that a thing of beauty, even if I don't care to
27 read the two volumes necessary to get to 1+1=2.
28
29 Rich