From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] remove system set?
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:06:08
1 On 15-08-2012 09:43:37 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > In that case then just ignore that whole section of my post. :)
3 > Personally I consider the existence of @system a bit of a hack - like
4 > the big kernel lock. It works OK, but here and there we run into
5 > issues with it.
6 >
7 > Williamh pointed out that the plan for now is to virtualize
8 > openrc/systemd, which certainly is a solution to that problem. Being
9 > an evolutionary vs revolutionary solution it is probably the better
10 > next step. In fact, if you kept making many steps like that one
11 > before long @system would become mostly a big collection of virtuals
12 > anyway, and at that point its only reason for being would be as an
13 > arbitrary list of packages that ebuild maintainers shouldn't add as
14 > dependencies, at which point you could start stripping it away.
15 >
16 > That isn't unlike what was done to get rid of the big kernel lock -
17 > just remove it one instance at a time...
18
19 I see it more as the set of packages I need to have on my system/Prefix,
20 to have Portage and its ebuilds working happily and me being able to do
21 basic stuff. One can debate whether ssh belongs to that set. For a
22 non-Prefix (regular Gentoo?) system it's sort of essential, for a Prefix
23 system, it's quite handy to have an ssh that actually works.
24
25 Nevertheless, the system set, is a vital part of bootstrapping e.g. a
26 Prefix setup. The whole route leading up to the situation of having the
27 full set installed consists of numerous --nodeps emerges carefully put
28 in an order where one can get away with the errors one receives due to
29 missing stuff.
30
31 From that angle, if you wouldd remove the system set, would you add its
32 contents to the Portage ebuild? Portage itself doesn't need a compiler
33 or might not need gawk, but whatever it runs (ebuilds) often need so.
34
35 Adding libc, a compiler, linker, shell, etc. to almost any every ebuild
36 looks pretty much useless to me. Adding deps for all regular tools an
37 ebuild uses (bash, sed, awk, cut, wc, ...) seems like error-prone and
38 pretty much useless to me as well. So, there is the system set which
39 just is the central place where those packages are recorded.
43 Fabian Groffen
44 Gentoo on a different level