From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:44:54
1 On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 15-08-2012 07:50:42 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
4 >> > There are only a few packages I've seen that depend on a certain
5 >> > (min/max) version of glibc, and when in use for Prefix, mostly use
6 >> > "!prefix? ( elibc_glibc? ( ...) )"
7 >> > stuff at the moment.
8 >>
9 >> Half the packages in portage link to libc, though they don't actually
10 >> declare this dependency due to the policy of not declaring policies in
11 >> @system. If you got rid of @system then they'd need to declare them.
12 >
13 > Yeah, so just don't do that.
14
15 In that case then just ignore that whole section of my post. :)
16 Personally I consider the existence of @system a bit of a hack - like
17 the big kernel lock. It works OK, but here and there we run into
18 issues with it.
19
20 Williamh pointed out that the plan for now is to virtualize
21 openrc/systemd, which certainly is a solution to that problem. Being
22 an evolutionary vs revolutionary solution it is probably the better
23 next step. In fact, if you kept making many steps like that one
24 before long @system would become mostly a big collection of virtuals
25 anyway, and at that point its only reason for being would be as an
26 arbitrary list of packages that ebuild maintainers shouldn't add as
27 dependencies, at which point you could start stripping it away.
28
29 That isn't unlike what was done to get rid of the big kernel lock -
30 just remove it one instance at a time...
31
32 Rich