From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 (Critical news reporting) updates
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:49:15
1 On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 13:32:05 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Repositories will definitely have a unique identifier. Perhaps it
4 | would be better to use the repository-identifing format from the
5 | beginning so that readers are forced to be forwards-compatible?
6 | Assuming the readers would then output the repository name, labeling
7 | it "gentoo" should work well...
8
9 *shrug* If someone creates metadata/repository_id (or whatever), I'll
10 go with that. Otherwise, I'm not in favour of attempting to guess how
11 the thing will be implemented.
12
13 | > When a news item is read, its name should be removed from the
14 | > ``news.unread`` file. News clients may add the name to a
15 | > ``news.read`` file in the same directory with the same file format.
16 |
17 | news.read should either be mandatory or not created at all. Should a
18 | user change from a reader that creates and uses the file to one that
19 | doesn't and then change back again the results will be unexpected.
20
21 I'm not sure that that's the case. With a news to email forwarder, for
22 example, it wouldn't make sense to keep track of news.read.
23
24 | > * Important: there are 5 unread news items.
25 | > * Type emerge --help news to learn how to read news files.
26 | [...]
27 | > An ``eselect`` [#eselect]_ module shall be created as the
28 | > 'suggested' display tool; other display tools (for example, a news
29 | > to email forwarder, which would be ideal for users who sync on a
30 | > ``cron``) are left as options for those who desire them.
31 |
32 | By "suggested" you mean that it should be referenced in the news help?
33
34 News help, handbook etc, yes.
37 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
38 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
39 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm