From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 (Critical news reporting) updates
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 23:46:18
1 On Monday 12 December 2005 02:43, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 13:32:05 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | Repositories will definitely have a unique identifier. Perhaps it
6 > | would be better to use the repository-identifing format from the
7 > | beginning so that readers are forced to be forwards-compatible?
8 > | Assuming the readers would then output the repository name, labeling
9 > | it "gentoo" should work well...
10 >
11 > *shrug* If someone creates metadata/repository_id (or whatever), I'll
12 > go with that. Otherwise, I'm not in favour of attempting to guess how
13 > the thing will be implemented.
14
15 Repositories will be user-labelled. However, all that readers need be
16 concerned with is how to extract the repository name from the news.unread
17 file and how to then resolve that to a directory name, regardless of how
18 repositories are implemented.
19
20 Even before multiple respositories are properly supported, I guarantee bugs
21 about support for this in portage overlays. With the above, we would be able
22 to add that support. Without it, all we can do is put a big CANTFIX.
23
24 > | > When a news item is read, its name should be removed from the
25 > | > ``news.unread`` file. News clients may add the name to a
26 > | > ``news.read`` file in the same directory with the same file format.
27 > |
28 > | news.read should either be mandatory or not created at all. Should a
29 > | user change from a reader that creates and uses the file to one that
30 > | doesn't and then change back again the results will be unexpected.
31 >
32 > I'm not sure that that's the case. With a news to email forwarder, for
33 > example, it wouldn't make sense to keep track of news.read.
34
35 In that case, the data should probably not be in /var/lib/portage and
36 definitely not specified in the GLEP. It has nothing to do with portage (the
37 app) and isn't a requirement on readers. What if a reader wants to keep track
38 of what date an item was read on? Or any other metadata? A new file would
39 need to be created anyway due to format constrainst placed on news.read...
42 Jason Stubbs
43 --
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list