From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Half of the firmware packages in tree install to wrong directory
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 09:10:57
1 On 09/02/13 11:06, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Fri, 8 Feb 2013, TomᨠChvátal wrote:
3 >
4 >> 2013/2/8 Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>:
5 >>> I would say that we might want to review linux-firmware, and if the
6 >>> newest firmware _is_ there, just get rid of the split one.
7 >>>
8 >> That should be probably the best approach, to actually kill of the
9 >> lone ones and keep the linux-firmware only.
10 >
11 > I disagree. Why should we force users to install lots of crap (some of
12 > it being non-free) that they will never need because they don't have
13 > the hardware?
14 >
15 > Ulrich
18 Maybe you don't understand how linux-firmware package works. It only
19 installs what you want -- it uses the savedconfig eclass to handle a
20 list of wanted firmwares.
21
22 I admit I never bothered to trim down my install of it, but the point is
23 YOU CAN do it.
24
25 - Samuli