From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mysql and perl DBI modules
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 20:53:52
1 On Sat, 20 Oct 2001 20:48:55 -0500 "Damon M. Conway"
2 <damon@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Collins Richey wrote:
5 > >Does anyone have experience with getting mysql and the perl DBI
6 > >modules to work?
7 >
8 > Yes.
9 >
10 > >Having merged DBI-1.14.ebuild, mysql-3.23.43.ebuild, and
11 > >xmysqladmin-1.0.ebuild and all dependencies, I'm now struggling to
12 > >make things work. I've muddled through getting a mysqld started,
13 > and
14 > >xmysqladmin will talk to the server.
15 > >
16 > >Now I'm trying to run the mysql tests (run-all-tests in
17 > >/usr/share/mysql/bench) which is a perl module dependant on DBI.
18 > >run-all-tests cannot find the DBI:: stuff (use DBI). It looks like
19 > >the DBI ebuild doesn't properly reconfigure perl to locate the DBI
20 > >stuff.
21 > >
22 > >Any suggestions?
23 >
24 > Did you actually install the Msql-Mysql perl module?
25 > dev-perl/Msql-Mysql-modules
26
27 Thanks, I missed this one - emerging as we speak.
30 > DBI is just an interface, and you need to install the drivers for
31 > your
32 > database.
33 >
34 > >As a side note, gentoo really needs to have some post-install
35 > >procedures for things like mysql.
36 >
37 > Like what? Be specific when asking for features.
40 How to actually run mysql. Users should not need to search through a
41 mound of documents just to setup the mysql server. I realize the
42 current audience for gentoo is sysadmins, but I expect gentoo is
43 intended for wider distribution.
47 Collins Richey
48 Denver Area
49 gentoo_rc6 xfce+sylpheed