From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Very bad ebuild-writing practice.
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:04:42
1 On Monday 19 August 2002 03:13, Charles Lacour wrote:
2 > As far as the name for cvs ebuilds goes, I think Bart had a very elegant
3 > solution for doing it within the current system. I'd rather see something
4 > like:
5 > quakeforge-0.5.0-cvs-20020820201013.ebuild, where the code that pulls the
6 > CVS entry in picks apart the time and pulls the cvs tree as of that point
7 > in time. (If you asked for quakeforge-0.5.0-cvs.ebuild, it would translate
8 > it to be as if you had typed "quakeforge-0.5.0-cvs-$(date
9 > +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).ebuild".)
12 Take it a step further and put only -cvs.ebuild files in the portage tree, and
13 put in the package repository the ebuild files as proposed. Further cvs
14 ebuilds shouldn't be part of a world update when their normal version number
15 hasn't changed. (Version numbers should change to reflect the latest
16 "official" version number of the package). A possible cvsupdate option might
17 check for packages that have not been merged for a certain number of days.
18
19 For cvs snapshots I believe the current procedure where a snapshot is put on
20 the gentoo mirrors (as SRC_URI) is best.
21
22 Paul
25 Paul de Vrieze
26 Junior Researcher