From: Charles Lacour <gentoo-dev@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Very bad ebuild-writing practice.
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 20:13:16
1 On Saturday 17 August 2002 11:50, Bart Verwilst wrote:
2 > Ok, i have NO idea what this thread is about, i just glanced at this, and
3 > i'll give ya my suggestion, that's it :o)
4 >
5 > || But suppose someone did want an ebuild for the hourly CVS snapshots?
6 > || How should it be named?
7 > ||
8 > || quakeforge-0.5.0.ebuild # works, but is misleading
9 > || quakeforge-0.5.0-cvs.ebuild # ERR!
10 > || quakeforge-0.5.0_cvs.ebuild # ERR!
11 > || quakeforge-0.5.0_cvs_hourly.ebuild # ERR!
12 > || quakeforge-0.5.0_beta1.ebuild # OK, but misleading also
13 > || ???
14 >
15 > quakeforge-0.5.0_pre020817.ebuild
18 I agree with Dan that an ebuild package that consists of an hourly CVS
19 snapshot, or a direct CVS read is inappropriate for the main Gentoo tree.
20
21 I disagree with what he said about "Ebuilds should be written for things that
22 are "set in stone" and don't go around changing on an hourly basis."
23
24 An ebuild (and portage in general) is a packaging and installation/removal
25 system. Saying that it shouldn't be used for short-lived releases is like
26 saying you shouldn't use RPMs or tarballs for such things.
27
28 I know Daniel Robbins is (or was at last report, about two weeks ago)
29 dedicated to having just one "Gentoo", that has everything in the world in
30 it, and that problems like flaky packages are handled by "quality control"
31 (his words).
32
33 I personally think he's fantasizing on this issue. While it's quite possible
34 to exert that type of quality control and have a stable, dependable set of
35 packages (call it a "release" for brevity), I don't belive it's possible to
36 have - in the same time and place - the rapid development and
37 up-to-the-minute package selection which has so far characterized Gentoo.
38 (And from what I've seen, it has characterized Gentoo because the developers
39 want it that way.)
40
41 I'd suggest another location that ebuilds for packages of less-than-sterling
42 character could go. Once they're done going through the development, alpha
43 testing and rough beta testing, then they'd be candidates for masked ebuilds
44 for the main community to check out.
45
46 As far as the name for cvs ebuilds goes, I think Bart had a very elegant
47 solution for doing it within the current system. I'd rather see something
48 like:
49 quakeforge-0.5.0-cvs-20020820201013.ebuild, where the code that pulls the CVS
50 entry in picks apart the time and pulls the cvs tree as of that point in
51 time. (If you asked for quakeforge-0.5.0-cvs.ebuild, it would translate it
52 to be as if you had typed "quakeforge-0.5.0-cvs-$(date
53 +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).ebuild".)