From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] LibreSSL, introduce virtual/openssl
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 20:18:30
1 Anthony G. Basile:
2 > On 01/23/15 00:56, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> Dnia 2015-01-23, o godz. 01:51:24
4 >> hasufell <hasufell@g.o> napisał(a):
5 >>
6 >>> Regarding the last libav discussion I think we should also go with a
7 >>> "libressl" USE flag instead of creating a virtual that makes handling
8 >>> SUBSLOTs impossible.
9 >> If libressl and openssl would have matching ABIs, that wouldn't be
10 >> necessary and you could what virtual/libudev does, i.e. explicit
11 >> subslot deps.
12 >>
13 > *if* I'm not sure they will even though that's the plan. If you look
14 > in the libressl overlay, you'll see lots of patches to make big ticket
15 > items like apache play nice with libressl. These patches involve things
16 > like
17 >
18 > +#ifndef HAVE_SSL_CTX_USE_CERTIFICATE_CHAIN
19 > int SSL_CTX_use_certificate_chain(SSL_CTX *, char *, int,
20 > pem_password_cb *);
21 > +#else
22 > + int _SSL_CTX_use_certificate_chain(SSL_CTX *, char *, int,
23 > pem_password_cb *);
24 > +#endif
25 >
26 > which points to the differences in functions are being exported by the
27 > two. This makes me lean towards a USE flag which can also be tied to
28 > applying patches rather than a virtual which is better suited for simple
29 > drop in substitutions.
32 The problem I see now is that people will have a hard time to actually
33 switch, because unlike gnutls we cannot have openssl and libressl be
34 installed at the same time.
35
36 For people to be able to switch we'd have to add libressl USE flags
37 everywhere, even if we don't know if it builds.