From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: [RFC]: gentoo-politics ML
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:28:54
1 Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 >> So (without a Portage tree) it replaces the oldgrown single-liner
3 >> wget foo; tar -xzf foo; cd foo; ./configure; make; make install
4 >
5 > Are you implying that there would be much more involved with anything
6 > currently in the gentoo tree in the absence of portage?
7 >
8 > /me cracks the bell
9 >
10 Er the discussion was about paludis without Gentoo ebuilds, not upstream
11 software, or Gentoo without its package-manager(?!) If it's so great
12 and "The Portage tree is not the only package repository out there..." why
13 not prove it with a whole maintainable OS install using Paludis and zero
14 Gentoo ebuilds?
15
16 Personally, I'd do Paludis for sourcemage, although I don't know whether
17 anyone would want to switch from the approved package manager on that
18 distro either. Still, since it's so amazing, I am sure you would be able to
19 prove it was better, and it would win on technical merit.
20
21 (BTW posting links to an external website's code when specifically asked
22 about algorithms on a developer list is bad form imo. It presumes on the
23 time of your audience, some of whom actually work, and might have
24 intellectual property constraints on whose code they can read. In future
25 please just outline the algorithm for the issue at hand, if you have one.)
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list