From: "Stephen P. Becker" <spbecker@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: [RFC]: gentoo-politics ML
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:01:31
1 On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:16:43 +0100
2 Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Stephen P. Becker wrote:
5 > >> So (without a Portage tree) it replaces the oldgrown single-liner
6 > >> wget foo; tar -xzf foo; cd foo; ./configure; make; make install
7 > >
8 > > Are you implying that there would be much more involved with
9 > > anything currently in the gentoo tree in the absence of portage?
10 > >
11 > > /me cracks the bell
12 > >
13 > Er the discussion was about paludis without Gentoo ebuilds, not
14 > upstream software, or Gentoo without its package-manager(?!) If it's
15 > so great and "The Portage tree is not the only package repository out
16 > there..." why not prove it with a whole maintainable OS install using
17 > Paludis and zero Gentoo ebuilds?
18
19 Indeed, it was about paludis without gentoo tree ebuilds. If you can't
20 understand the flow of the conversation, I don't know what to tell
21 you other than to re-read the thread. The point is, there are other
22 repositories out there that paludis can use that aren't the main gentoo
23 tree. Beejay asked somebody to elaborate, so I did.
26 > Personally, I'd do Paludis for sourcemage, although I don't know
27 > whether anyone would want to switch from the approved package manager
28 > on that distro either. Still, since it's so amazing, I am sure you
29 > would be able to prove it was better, and it would win on technical
30 > merit.
31
32 I don't see what that has to do with anything here, and I'm not trying
33 to prove anything. I entered this conversation stating simple facts,
34 and you took it well out of bounds.
37 > (BTW posting links to an external website's code when specifically
38 > asked about algorithms on a developer list is bad form imo. It
39 > presumes on the time of your audience, some of whom actually work,
40 > and might have intellectual property constraints on whose code they
41 > can read. In future please just outline the algorithm for the issue
42 > at hand, if you have one.)
43
44 OK, now I'm really confused. Who posted a link, and what does this
45 statement have to do with anything related to this current discussion?
46 Seriously, I'd like to know, because I certainly didn't paste any link,
47 yet you replied directly to me.
48
49 -Steve