From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: revbumping ebuilds after USE dependency changes
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:04:01
1 Zac Medico posted on Mon, 29 Jul 2013 01:04:09 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 07/28/2013 05:39 PM, Duncan wrote:
4 >> [D]epclean now does [an elf-based dynamic deps scan] and will refuse to
5 >> remove a package [if that turns up a dependency], asking you to
6 >> rebuild the depending package first to remove that in-practice-but-
7 >> not-in-database dependency.
8 >
9 > This behavior is controlled by the --depclean-lib-check option and also
10 > interacts with FEATURES=preserve-libs. I suspect that the majority of
11 > people have FEATURES=preserve-libs enabled these days, and for them the
12 > behavior is for depclean to remove the packages but preserve their
13 > libraries as needed (it's documented in the --depclean-lib-check section
14 > of the emerge man page).
15
16 FEATURE=-preserve-libs[1] here explains why I wasn't aware of that bit.
17 But I guess I hadn't read the manpage in detail lately as I wasn't aware
18 of the --depclean-lib-check parameter, either.
19
20 As always, thanks, both for the clarification and for your great work on
21 portage, which is certainly one of the most directly experienced parts of
22 gentoo for most users. It's a relatively good part too, thanks to you
23 and the others that have put so much work into portage. =:^)
24
25 ---
26 [1] FEATURES=-preserve-libs: I prefer to find and fix right away the
27 problems preserve-libs is intended to hide and thus religiously run both
28 emerge --depclean and revdep-rebuild as the last bits of every update, so
29 all preserve-libs does for me is get in the way of the proper functioning
30 of revdep-rebuild. I do appreciate the preemptive nature of EAPI-5's
31 subslots, tho, and between that and --as-needed in LDFLAGS, revdep-
32 rebuild doesn't find much to rebuild these days. =:^)
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman