From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: revbumping ebuilds after USE dependency changes
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 08:04:18
1 On 07/28/2013 05:39 PM, Duncan wrote:
2 > I haven't checked the details and depclean does run far faster than
3 > revdep-rebuild so whatever it's doing isn't as thorough, but depclean now
4 > does at least some actual on-system checking before removing a package,
5 > and will refuse to remove a package it otherwise would (no database deps
6 > requiring it so the database says it's fine to remove) with an
7 > explanation of what's actually linked against it, if depclean's pre-clean
8 > scans indicate that removing the package would otherwise leave an
9 > unsatisfied/dangling linkage, asking you to rebuild the depending package
10 > first to remove that in-practice-but-not-in-database dependency.
11
12 This behavior is controlled by the --depclean-lib-check option and also
13 interacts with FEATURES=preserve-libs. I suspect that the majority of
14 people have FEATURES=preserve-libs enabled these days, and for them the
15 behavior is for depclean to remove the packages but preserve their
16 libraries as needed (it's documented in the --depclean-lib-check section
17 of the emerge man page).
18 --
19 Thanks,
20 Zac