From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 11:41:32
1 On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 07:31:03 -0400
2 "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 4/8/16 6:14 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 9:42 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
6 > > wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >> There was a bypo here. "the ebuild" should be upstream. The default
9 > >> installation location of all coreutils binaries is /usr/bin, then
10 > >> we move everything around in the ebuild.
11 > >> We are deviating from upstream in this example.
12 > >>
13 > >
14 > > Keep in mind that following upstream and the /usr merge are somewhat
15 > > orthogonal. You can just install those binaries in /usr without
16 > > merging everything over.
17 > >
18 > > The only issue is that without the merge anybody embedding a path to
19 > > these binaries would have to fix their packages. Presumably to aid
20 > > the transition a symlink (at the file level) would be needed for
21 > > some period of time.
22 >
23 > @anyone, can you list the reasons we're doing this (I'm sure there's
24 > more than one). If systemd if one of them, then I'm confused because
25 > debian has switched to systemd and yet has not merged usr.
26
27 Not that I'm for or against the merge but note that openSUSE, which has
28 also switched to systemd, hasn't done the merge either.
31 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
32 Gentoo Linux Developer