From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Council meeting summary for 3 April 2012
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 09:09:35
1 Mike Gilbert wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Steven J Long wrote:
4 >> And again, I ask: if it were *not* about running udev without an
5 >> initramfs, then why would anyone even be discussing the possibility of
6 >> patching or forking?
9 > Here is my interpretation: the council voted on the following question:
10 >
11 > <ulm> The question is: "Decide on whether a separate /usr is still a
12 > supported
13 > configuration."
14 >
15 > It did not decide the method that would be used to accomplish this. A
16 > few council members (Chainsaw mainly) expressed a desire to do it
17 > without an initramfs, but an official stance on this was not put
18 > forward.
19 >
20 While I agree it would be better if the vote had specified "without an
21 initramfs" it seems clear to me that that was what was under discussion,
22 since a) Chainsaw was asked to describe the issue and specifically turned
23 down an initramfs, and b) udev with an initramfs already supports a separate
24 /usr partition, so why would the Council need to vote on it?
25
26 It's already supported if you use an initramfs, so there isn't anything to
27 discuss, nor vote on as technical policy.
28
29 > You are reading into it more that you should.
30
31 Well two of the votes specifically mention initramfs:
32 <Betelgeuse> As long as there is no automated help for people to
33 automatically get initramfs I vote yes
34 <hwoarang> i vote no, because diverting from upstream is not an ideal option
35 for me
36
37 If it were not about supporting users without an initramfs, why would a yes
38 vote mean diverging from upstream?
39
40 At this point, I'd like the Council to clarify. I really don't see what else
41 could have required a vote, and the whole discussion was about not using an
42 initramfs, who would maintain any patches needed, and what the potential
43 consequences might be.
46 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)