From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Council meeting summary for 3 April 2012
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 06:01:50
1 On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Steven J Long
2 <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> The Council has voted that Gentoo continue to support that subset,
5 >>> without an initramfs.
6 >>
7 > (The "subset of users" being those who do not need udev before localmount.)
8 >
9 >> Citation, please?
12 > <ulm> New udev and separate /usr partition
13 > <Chainsaw> In my opinion, a separate /usr partition has been a supported
14 > configuration for a very long time and should remain so.
15 > <Betelgeuse> Chainsaw: So to clarify a universal initramfs is not enough?
16 > <Chainsaw> Betelgeuse: No. That is additional work for a clearly broken
17 > package.
18 >
19 > So we must support separate /usr *without* an initramfs.
20 >
21 > <dberkholz> who's going to either "port" udev as necessary, or maintain an
22 > old version forever?
23 > <Chainsaw> I will keep an old version going until the end of time.
24 > <Chainsaw> dberkholz: My plan is to patch reasonable behaviour back into
25 > udev, and going with the upstream releases as long as it is feasible.
26 >
27 > To confirm again, that this is about without initramfs:
28 > <dberkholz> sure i can. maintain old udev-XXX forever, put an elog in new
29 > udev that says "if you want separate /usr without initramfs, install old
30 > udev, mask new, or whatever"
31 >
32 > And again, I ask: if it were *not* about running udev without an initramfs,
33 > then why would anyone even be discussing the possibility of patching or
34 > forking?
37 Here is my interpretation: the council voted on the following question:
38
39 <ulm> The question is: "Decide on whether a separate /usr is still a supported
40 configuration."
41
42 It did not decide the method that would be used to accomplish this. A
43 few council members (Chainsaw mainly) expressed a desire to do it
44 without an initramfs, but an official stance on this was not put
45 forward.
46
47 You are reading into it more that you should.