From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Council meeting summary for 3 April 2012
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 05:25:23
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >> The Council has voted that Gentoo continue to support that subset,
3 >> without an initramfs.
4 >
5 (The "subset of users" being those who do not need udev before localmount.)
6
7 > Citation, please?
10 <ulm> New udev and separate /usr partition
11 <Chainsaw> In my opinion, a separate /usr partition has been a supported
12 configuration for a very long time and should remain so.
13 <Betelgeuse> Chainsaw: So to clarify a universal initramfs is not enough?
14 <Chainsaw> Betelgeuse: No. That is additional work for a clearly broken
15 package.
16
17 So we must support separate /usr *without* an initramfs.
18
19 <dberkholz> who's going to either "port" udev as necessary, or maintain an
20 old version forever?
21 <Chainsaw> I will keep an old version going until the end of time.
22 <Chainsaw> dberkholz: My plan is to patch reasonable behaviour back into
23 udev, and going with the upstream releases as long as it is feasible.
24
25 To confirm again, that this is about without initramfs:
26 <dberkholz> sure i can. maintain old udev-XXX forever, put an elog in new
27 udev that says "if you want separate /usr without initramfs, install old
28 udev, mask new, or whatever"
29
30 And again, I ask: if it were *not* about running udev without an initramfs,
31 then why would anyone even be discussing the possibility of patching or
32 forking?
33
34 The only question is whether running without an initramfs means the same
35 thing as not requiring udev before localmount. I contend that it is, since
36 the basic requirement we've been given is that udev as a service requires
37 /usr and /var mounted before starting, since some devices already require
38 scripts which are in /usr or access /var (and going forward effectively can
39 require a script anywhere.)
40
41 Wrt udev linking to /usr/lib, it seems that any such linkage would need to
42 be satisfied in an initramfs too, so the same data could be used for people
43 who don't have an initramfs (how we deal with it on our systems is up to
44 us.)
45
46 I would dearly love to hear a walkthrough of how you deal with device nodes
47 created by udev which are required for udev to start in your initramfs, but
48 it does not affect the basic requirement for our use-case: that udev is not
49 needed for localmount.
50
51 Regards,
52 Steve.
53 --
54 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)