From: Todd Wright <wylie@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] custom portage sections?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 17:54:33
1 > > Personally, I feel an even more elegant way to solve this, that would
2 > > benefit more than just custom categories, is to allow CONFIG_PROTECT
3 > > to contain individual files as well directories, which is very simple
4 > > to implement.
5 > >
6 > > It would also be nice to be able to un-protect files and
7 > > subdirectories of protected directories, but that probably wouldn't be
8 > > as simple to implement.
11 > I do agree that it would be nice to add individual files to
12 > CONFIG_PROTECT, but I also think a 'CATEGORIES' variable has merit. This
13 > allows the separation of stock gentoo categories from custom ones. For
14 > example, in make.conf,
15
16 I'd have to agree with the CATEGORIES variable.
17
18 CONFIG_PROTECT is not going to help you. This isnt a config file to be
19 protected. It is the "EMERGE RSYNC" that is going to overwrite the
20 categories file and theres not a lot you can do about that, as it simply
21 mirrors the official portage tree. Adding a CATEGORIES shell variable in
22 make.conf seems an elegent way to solve this, but then my opinions dont seem
23 to carry much weight around here.
24
26 / \
27 \_.--._* <--- http://www.geekasylum.org/~wylie/
28 v Mobile: +61-403-796-001 Ph: +61-2-9521-8677