From: Zach Forrest <zach@××××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] custom portage sections?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 17:25:58
1 Bob Phan wrote:
2 <snip>
5 > Personally, I feel an even more elegant way to solve this, that would
6 > benefit more than just custom categories, is to allow CONFIG_PROTECT
7 > to contain individual files as well directories, which is very simple
8 > to implement.
9 >
10 > It would also be nice to be able to un-protect files and
11 > subdirectories of protected directories, but that probably wouldn't be
12 > as simple to implement.
15 I do agree that it would be nice to add individual files to
16 CONFIG_PROTECT, but I also think a 'CATEGORIES' variable has merit. This
17 allows the separation of stock gentoo categories from custom ones. For
18 example, in make.conf, you specify the USE variable you want for your
19 system while make.defaults holds the profile default USE variables. I
20 prefer to have my configuration in a standard place (e.g.
21 /etc/make.globals or /etc/make.conf).
22
23 Let me know what you think.
24
25 Zach