From: Bob Phan <bob@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] custom portage sections?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:48:24
1 On Mon, 13 May 2002, Zach Forrest wrote:
2
3 > Jean-Michel Smith wrote:
4 > > On Monday 13 May 2002 12:01 pm, Zach Forrest wrote:
5 > >
6 > >>I believe you'll need to add your category to:
7 > >> /usr/portage/profiles/categories
10 > > That was indeed the trick I was looking for! Many thanks!
11 > >
12 > I'm glad it worked. I just wanted to mention that I don't think the
13 > categories file is config protected, so you might have to modify it
14 > whenever portage is updated, or add the /usr/portage/profiles directory
15 > to CONFIG_PROTECT (which would be a *huge* pain to protect that one
16 > file). I think a better idea would be to have a CATEGORIES variable in
17 > /etc/make.globals that would allow the addition of custom categories;
18 > the categories would then be composed of the official categories with
19 > the custom categories listed in CATEGORIES appended to the list. You
20 > might want to file a feature request through bugzilla for this.
21
22 Personally, I feel an even more elegant way to solve this, that would
23 benefit more than just custom categories, is to allow CONFIG_PROTECT
24 to contain individual files as well directories, which is very simple
25 to implement.
26
27 It would also be nice to be able to un-protect files and
28 subdirectories of protected directories, but that probably wouldn't be
29 as simple to implement.
32 /*
33 * Bob Phan <bob@××××××××××××××××.net,rphan@××××.com>
34 * Computational Chemistry Informatics
35 * Neurogen Corporation
36 * (203)488-8201 x4645
37 *
38 * To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.
39 */