From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o, qa@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Local workarounds with no reported bugs
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 19:10:01
1 On 10/17/16 09:23, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello, everyone.
3 >
4 > I'd like to point out a major problem in Gentoo: there's a fair number
5 > of developers who add various local workarounds to problems they meet
6 > and don't bother to report a bug. Worst than that, this applies not
7 > only for upstream problems but also to Gentoo eclass/ebuild-related
8 > issues.
11 > Example: udev people had problems with MULTILIB_WRAPPED_HEADERS
12 > in the past. Instead of contacting me
13 ... bus factor of 1, that's not a good strategy in general.
14
15 > (which would result in helpful
16 > explanation how to do things properly), they abused bash to disable
17 > the check function implicitly in the ebuilds.
20 > Nobody bothered to inform me of the issue there.
21 Well, you didn't ask ;)
22
23 Instead, I had to
24 > notice it looking at the udev ebuilds accidentally. Furthermore, in
25 > most of the ebuilds the workaround was no longer necessary but nobody
26 > bothered to check that.
29 > Example 2: Coacher had problem with git-r3 not trying fallback URIs
30 > when earlier URI was https and https wasn't supported in git. So he
31 > reordered URIs to have https last. With tiny explanation in some random
32 > commit message.
33 >
34 > So we have a problem that affects around a half of git-r3 packages
35 > (using quick grep, results inaccurate), however minor it is. Worse, it
36 > affects the policy of preferring https and causes some people to reject
37 > the policy silently. And nobody gives a damn to report it!
40 > Therefore, I'd like to request establishing an official policy against
41 > workarounds with no associated bug reports.
42 That's too fuzzy to make a policy. Feels good, everyone agrees with the
43 idea, but where's the limit? When is it a required fix, when it is just
44 a workaround? What needs to be upstreamed, and what can't be upstreamed?
47 > Your thoughts?
48 >
49 I like the general idea of ... like ... improving ... things, but you
50 should be more precise and try to avoid creating situations with a bus
51 factor of one.