From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, "Manuel Rüger" <mrueg@g.o>, "Johan Bergström" <bugs@××××××××××.nu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New USE_EXPAND NGINX_MODULES_STREAM
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 21:41:43
1 On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 13:01:25 +0100
2 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Which looks easier and nicer to you?
6 > >
7 > > NGINX_MODULES_HTTP="access auth_basic autoindex browser charset
8 > > fancyindex fastcgi geo gzip limit_req limit_zone map memcached proxy
9 > > realip referer rewrite scgi spdy split_clients ssi upstream_check
10 > > upstream_ip_hash userid uwsgi"
11
12 Well, the real issue here is that people are using USE_EXPAND as some
13 kind of 'here, upstream give us some grouped options, let's
14 thoughtlessly expose them all in some fancy USE_EXPAND without thinking
15 about usability of the solution!'
16
17 Of course, some of those flags make sense as USE flags. Some don't.
18 There are things that you practically always will want enabled. There
19 are things that should be controlled by global USE flags but instead
20 land in some custom USE_EXPAND because... because we can group it with
21 15 mildly relevant options!
22
23 So I have USE=zlib enabled because I want gzip support. But no, for
24 nginx I have to look through USE descriptions and find it's actually
25 nginx_modules_http_gzip because it happens that it is realized using
26 a loadable module!
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny
31 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>