From: "Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Ability to pass arguments to src_configure/src_compile
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 12:10:05
1 On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Santiago M. Mola wrote:
3 >> Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >> >
5 >> > [...] The suggestion violates in an extreme way the golden design
6 >> > rule that small changes in effect should require small changes in source.
7 > [...]
8 >
9 >> Yes, you're right. That would be really tedious and stupid... but
10 >> we're lucky, and EAPI-2 introduced the 'default' function. So if you
11 >> need to do a small change not covered by this method, you just define
12 >> the phase, make the little change, and then call the 'default'
13 >> function. Clean and simple.
14 >
15 > How does this "little change" look like if you have to call ./autogen.sh
16 > instead of ./configure?
17
18 Most of the time you don't call autogen.sh, but eautoreconf. And when
19 you have to call ./autogen.sh you usually do it in src_unpack (or
20 src_prepare if it's introduced in EAPI-2).
21
22 > Or if you want to call a second ./configure
23 > in some subdirectory with the same options but one option changed?
24
25 This is not a "small change" that happens on any package too often (if
26 ever). For such cases you can define a custom
27 src_configure/src_compile which fits your needs.
30 > These are just some examples, I hope that the point becomes clear:
31 > You simply cannot cover all natural modifications which might be
32 > necessary unless you really can access the commands themselves;
33
34 You can access the commands themselves,I think no one said ever in
35 this thread that use_with, use_enable or econf are going to be
36 deprecated.
39 Regards,
40 --
41 Santiago M. Mola