From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 05:21:56
1 Tom Wijsman posted on Sat, 26 Jul 2014 00:09:58 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > EAPI specifies what PMs need to conform to, not the other way around;
4 > EAPI-0 may very well be derived from Portage, that doesn't make such
5 > side features that have not been specified in EAPI-0 a part of EAPI-0.
6
7 Not being around at the time, you may not know some of the history, but
8 feel free to ask Ciaranm if you need a more authoritative source.
9
10 The thing is, EAPI-0 was not originally completely specified, and to my
11 knowledge, remains that way, because that would have been real-world
12 essentially impossible to do. Instead, a convenient shortcut was taken.
13 EAPI-0 was defined as what portage did at the time, with EAPI-1 for sure
14 and I believe EAPI-2 at least, being defined as the the previous EAPI,
15 with specifically defined changes, but with the base EAPI still only
16 fuzzily defined as, basically, what portage did at the time.
17
18 And since the beginning, while there have been other unapproved EAPIs not
19 allowed in the main gentoo tree, because portage was and remains the
20 official default PM, no EAPI has been approved for main-tree deployment
21 until portage had a working implementation.
22
23 So while portage can and certainly does have bugs where it doesn't meet
24 EAPI requirements, particularly for behavior there since EAPI-0 and not
25 specifically defined to be different in a specific EAPI since then, to
26 the extent that PMS applies at all, the interpretation of PMS must still
27 be read in the context of what portage did all those years ago with the
28 original EAPI-0 spec, since EAPI-0 was /defined/ based on portage
29 behavior at the time.
30
31 Which then begs the question[1] I asked, how old /is/ this dynamic-deps
32 behavior? Does it extend back to EAPI-0? My gut sense from memory as a
33 user back then and now is that it does, but that's simply a gut sense I'm
34 ill equipped to go back and verify.
35
36 ---
37 [1] Begs the question: Yes, I'm aware of the legal and philosophical
38 "circular logic" usage, now generally legacy in terms of real-world use
39 except in the philosophic and legal areas. I deliberately choose to use
40 the phrase in the newer and now much more common sense, rhetorically
41 personifying the question such that it can "beg to be asked".
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman