From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: 1i5t5.duncan@×××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 22:10:07
1 On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 05:44:34 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > How long have dynamic-deps been around? Since EAPI-0? Because if
5 > so, that interpretation must be incorrect, since EAPI-0 was defined
6 > as portage behavior at the time, and AFAIK, no EAPI since then has
7 > been approved without a working portage implementation.
8
9 Good question, probably needs a dig in the old Portage history; it is
10 something long the search terms of dynamic dependencies in
11 FakeVarTree, given that the parameter[1] has been added later on.
12
13 EAPI specifies what PMs need to conform to, not the other way around;
14 EAPI-0 may very well be derived from Portage, that doesn't make such
15 side features that have not been specified in EAPI-0 a part of EAPI-0.
16
17 [1]: Add emerge --dynamic-deps <y|n> option.
18 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=commit;h=f8e0c75e
19
20 > In the context of dynamic-deps I'd interpret the above to mean within
21 > a single portage session. What happens some sessions later when an
22 > ebuild's deps are dynamic-updated after a tree sync is an entirely
23 > new session, and unless I'm missing something, the above PMS
24 > requirements can be met within a single session with dynamic-deps.
25
26 Apart from the words "merge" and "batch", which are in the piece of
27 text that I've quoted; I'm not sure how for the rest of the piece a
28 session can be deduced or interpreted from what is specified.
31 With kind regards,
32
33 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
34 Gentoo Developer
35
36 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
37 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
38 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D