From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 05:45:07
1 Tom Wijsman posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014 23:47:48 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 19:37:17 +0000 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> afaiu dynamic deps are broken and not defined in PMS
6 >
7 > It goes a step further than that!
8 >
9 > The PMS imposes certain limits on dependencies; it states that DEPEND
10 > must be present before executing src_* phases, that RDEPEND must be
11 > present before treating the results as usable and that PDEPEND must be
12 > done before finishing the batch of installs.
13 >
14 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/pms/5/pms.html#x1-750008.1
15 >
16 > If you attempt to fit in dynamic dependencies in that specification; the
17 > src_* phases could never run, the results can never be considered usable
18 > and the batch of installs can never finish.
19
20 How long have dynamic-deps been around? Since EAPI-0? Because if so,
21 that interpretation must be incorrect, since EAPI-0 was defined as
22 portage behavior at the time, and AFAIK, no EAPI since then has been
23 approved without a working portage implementation.
24
25 In the context of dynamic-deps I'd interpret the above to mean within a
26 single portage session. What happens some sessions later when an
27 ebuild's deps are dynamic-updated after a tree sync is an entirely new
28 session, and unless I'm missing something, the above PMS requirements can
29 be met within a single session with dynamic-deps.
30
31 >> still... people seem to fix deps without revbumping, causing users who
32 >> either don't use dynamic deps (it's optional for portage through
33 >> --dynamic-deps=y, although it's on by default) or who use a different
34 >> PM to not get the fix, at worst resulting in broken dependency
35 >> calculation
36 >
37 > Why do we have a PMS if we don't take into account other PMs?
38 >
39 > Is Gentoo still a meta distribution? How does the Portage tree portage?
40
41 This remains a valid question.
42
43 (FWIW, after some cleanup I set dynamic-deps=n in defaultopts, and did my
44 last update, about nine days after my last sync and update, without
45 dynamic-deps. We'll see how it goes longer term. Tho I guess people
46 like me who have been running --newuse --deep for ages are half-way-there
47 already.)
52 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman