From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 21:52:50
1 On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 19:37:17 +0000
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > afaiu dynamic deps are broken and not defined in PMS
5
6 It goes a step further than that!
7
8 The PMS imposes certain limits on dependencies; it states that DEPEND
9 must be present before executing src_* phases, that RDEPEND must be
10 present before treating the results as usable and that PDEPEND must be
11 done before finishing the batch of installs.
12
13 http://dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/pms/5/pms.html#x1-750008.1
14
15 If you attempt to fit in dynamic dependencies in that specification;
16 the src_* phases could never run, the results can never be considered
17 usable and the batch of installs can never finish.
18
19 > still... people seem to fix deps without revbumping, causing users who
20 > either don't use dynamic deps (it's optional for portage through
21 > --dynamic-deps=y, although it's on by default) or who use a different
22 > PM to not get the fix, at worst resulting in broken dependency
23 > calculation
24
25 Why do we have a PMS if we don't take into account other PMs?
26
27 Is Gentoo still a meta distribution? How does the Portage tree portage?
30 With kind regards,
31
32 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
33 Gentoo Developer
34
35 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
36 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
37 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D