From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] .keep files
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 22:26:35
1 Andrej Kacian wrote:
2 > On Sat, 21 May 2005 17:37:53 -0700
3 > Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>I always thought that they were to keep 'emerge unmerge' from removing
7 >>>an empty directory, but I could be wrong...
8 >>
9 >>That, and to keep portage from removing empty directories during the
10 >>post-merge clean phase. Were it not for the .keep files, portage would
11 >>cheerfully remove any empty directories the first time the package was
12 >>upgraded.
15 > Wouldn't it be possible for portage to just compare a dir in live filesystem
16 > and in the emerge image, and if the dir in image contains .keep file, the live
17 > dir wouldn't get deleted?
20 That dir isn't available at that point. And even if it would be, won't
21 help as directories can be owned by multiple packages, and you
22 definitely don't want to cross-check all installed packages for file
23 ownership.
24
25 Marius
26 --