From: Andrej Kacian <ticho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] .keep files
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 19:19:04
1 On Sat, 21 May 2005 17:37:53 -0700
2 Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > I always thought that they were to keep 'emerge unmerge' from removing
5 > > an empty directory, but I could be wrong...
6 >
7 > That, and to keep portage from removing empty directories during the
8 > post-merge clean phase. Were it not for the .keep files, portage would
9 > cheerfully remove any empty directories the first time the package was
10 > upgraded.
11
12 Wouldn't it be possible for portage to just compare a dir in live filesystem
13 and in the emerge image, and if the dir in image contains .keep file, the live
14 dir wouldn't get deleted?
17 Andrej "Ticho" Kacian <ticho at gentoo dot org>
18 Gentoo Linux Developer - net-mail, antivirus, amd64