From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] .keep files
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 00:37:53
1 marduk <marduk@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 22:28 +0200, Andrej Kacian wrote:
3 > > Are .keep files necessary in a live filesystem? AFAIK they're only
4 > > there to keep portage from removing a directory from emerge-time
5 > > image. Would it be possible to just remove them from live filesystem
6 > > after package files are merged to / ?
7 > >
8 > > Or do .keep files serve another purpose, not obvious to me?
11 > I always thought that they were to keep 'emerge unmerge' from removing
12 > an empty directory, but I could be wrong...
13
14 That, and to keep portage from removing empty directories during the
15 post-merge clean phase. Were it not for the .keep files, portage would
16 cheerfully remove any empty directories the first time the package was
17 upgraded.
20 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
21 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
22 --Ghost in the Shell