From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:12:32
1 On Monday 09 August 2004 03:56 pm, Olivier Crete wrote:
2 > I'm re-proposing the tarball approach. When a stable release is made, a
3 > tarball of the tree would be taken (while removing all of the non-stable
4 > stuff and just keeping the arch keyworks if necessary..).. And then an
5 > overlay rsync for security updates would be created.. This ensures the
6 > long term survival of the release.. It also allows us to keep
7 > "distributing" very old release (we know how many shops still use
8 > redhat7 or even 6) without putting too much strain on the mirrors.
9
10 This isn't a realistic solution. I think that moving away from the Portage
11 tree as it is designed would be setting ourselves up to have a product with
12 an end of life. With an evolving tree, some things may not change for a
13 year, but when they DO change, an update should be possible without breaking
14 the system or needing to start from scratch. The idea is not to freeze the
15 tree permanently, but make it more "stable".
16
17 > Why do we need something as complex as profiling? And something that
18 > requires work from every maintainer
19
20 Profiling makes it such that we won't need work from every maintainer.
21
22 > Rsync is expensive for servers.. lets keep it down to the minimum. Its
23 > much easier to get ftp/http mirrors than rsync...
24
25 This is not true. We have MANY more rsync mirrors than we have source
26 mirrors. The problem here is that most people don't have the disk space
27 required for a distfiles mirror, whereas an rsync (portage) mirror is easy.
28 I envision "enterprise" systems as needing to sync the tree less, especially
29 if there are fewer updates expected. The rsync issue really isn't an issue
30 (and I'm not a fan of rsync by any means).
31
32 Cheers!
33
34 -C
37 Corey Shields
38 Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Team and Devrel Team
39 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
40 http://www.gentoo.org/~cshields
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list