From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Cc: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, base-system@g.o, multilib@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: multilib and fhs 3
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 08:29:52
1 Dnia 2015-10-10, o godz. 17:48:15
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > fhs 3.0 was approved in June this year [1] [2].
5 >
6 > The piece of it that I want to bring up is the lib and libxx
7 > directories, both in / and /usr. The way I read the fhs, /lib and
8 > /usr/lib should hold the files for the default abi and /libxx and
9 > /usr/libxx should hold the files for the alternate abis. In earlier fhs,
10 > there was an exception for amd64 which stated that the default libraries
11 > should be in /lib64 and /usr/lib64. However, that exception is now gone.
12
13 I've talked to William about this yesterday. And raised two major
14 points.
15
16 Firstly, I think that this paragraph can be interpreted as 64-bit ABI
17 being an alternative ABI to x86 architecture. This follows the late
18 trend of treating amd64 as a superset of x86 rather than something
19 completely new. This also fits ppc64 > ppc, s390x > s390 etc.
20
21 Secondly, I think that the ABI standards are more relevant than FHS.
22 And they clearly state that:
23
24 - /lib is for x86 ABI,
25 - /lib64 is for x86_64,