From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: Wouter van Kleunen <kleunen@××××××××××.nl>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Init replacement
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 10:50:19
1 Wouter van Kleunen <kleunen@××××××××××.nl> writes:
2
3 > I wrote a new init system that has numerous advantages over the old script
4 > based init system. Please have a look at:
5 >
6 > pinit.sf.net
7 >
8 > I am a gentoo user, and i converted my scripts -> services for my
9 > system. I would like to have feedback on this system. Please try it
10 > out on your system (safely from your home directory).
11
12 converting init-scripts to XML is a scary process. init-scripts
13 should IMHO be human readable, as atomic as possible, and testable
14 without depending on much more than having a generic shell. in
15 addition to verboseness and lack of readability, XML makes it
16 "interesting" to integrate more complex scripts, like autofs.
17
18 yes, XML is easier to generate for a machine, but you generally
19 don't generate init-scripts, if you do you probably build them from
20 templates, which aren't XML friendly either.
23 Terje
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list