From: Ian Leitch <port001@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Modular X plans
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 07:09:01
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
6 > | The new categories are x11-apps, x11-proto and x11-drivers. Of these,
7 > | the name for x11-proto (the protocol headers) is debatable. The upstream
8 > | module they're all in is called "proto," and their pkg-config (*.pc)
9 > | files are called fooproto. But I'm also open to names such as
10 > | x11-protocol or x11-headers, so let me know what you think makes the
11 > | most sense, both in understanding the meaning and in combination with
12 > | upstream's naming.
13 >
14 > I'm still awaiting any solid arguments against x11-proto, and they had
15 > best be expedited (read below for why).
16
17 I don't dislike x11-proto, x11-headers is just a little more descriptive
18 from the perspective of an ignorant user. More informed users know that
19 X is the actual protocol, so x11-proto could read to them as "protocol
20 protocols", or "protocols of a protocol". Besides, we have category
21 metadata anyway.
22
23 Regards,
24 Ian.