From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Concerns about the new install guide
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 08:40:50
1 On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:00:56AM -0800, Alan wrote:
2 > A few hundred pages later I had a tome to take with me that had pages that
3 > I discarded or sections crossed out (other architectures) and still had to
4 > carefully go through and figure out only the essance of what was needed.
5
6 I know that printing out the installation document kills of some trees. The
7 only thing I can say to that is *not* to print out the instructions.
8
9 When someone develops documentation, (s)he has to take into account who's
10 going to read the documentation. In case of the Installation Instructions,
11 I'm very confident that 80% of the readers are people new to installing
12 Gentoo. I therefore decided to write the instructions as verbose as possible,
13 with lots of examples and (hopefully) correct background information.
14
15 Not too much background information, but enough for the reader to understand
16 what (s)he is doing (instead of just verbatim copying over instructions). If
17 you want verbatim instructions, use GLIS to install Gentoo - it just runs the
18 appropriate commands without too much user interaction.
19
20 If you want a quick and dirty draft of how the Gentoo installation is
21 structured, good luck finding a correct one. Every attempt to remove
22 information from the Installation Instructions will lead to removal of
23 information. Perhaps you don't need the information, but other people do.
24
25 When a user reads documents, (s)he thinks about his own environment.
26 Everything that doesn't fit there is cruft. But when you write documentation
27 that is going to be read by everyone, there is no such thing as "cruft". We
28 therefore decided to make frequent use of internal guiding so that users are
29 guided through the instructions _they_ need, without having them search for
30 the next appropriate section. Just follow the instructions and make the
31 appropriate choices.
32
33 I don't know why some people say that they have to search for the next
34 section that applies to them - the instructions are written in such a way
35 that you should not search for those instructions, you just click on the
36 appropriate choice.
37
38 *But* when you print out the documentation, you cannot easily click :) For
39 this reason all links are named with the title of the section (or subsection)
40 they are referring to. This allows the user to quickly find the next section
41 if he is reading from a printed version.
42
43 > I'd like to see what one of the other posters mentioned, something
44 > short, to the point, maybe 2-5 pages long with the steps needed for
45 > $myfavoritearch to install with examples and commands needed. Something
46 > a bit more complete than "chroot" but less complete than what's there
47 > now.
48
49 If you want to write on _and_ maintain one, please do so. But we had this
50 situation before the Gentoo Handbook was created: several
51 gentoo-*-install.xml documents of which the gentoo-x86-install.xml document
52 quickly reached CVS revision 1.200 while the rest struggled at about 1.20 or
53 1.30. Not because they didn't have errors, but because the x86 installation
54 document was the most read, had the most bugreports and therefore received
55 most attention.
56
57 I thought that the non-x86 architecture developers would be happy that the
58 Gentoo Handbook was developed: it allowed for the installation instructions
59 to be fully up to date with their architecture too without them having to put
60 too much resources in maintaining their guides. I'm very disappointed that
61 this isn't the case.
62
63 Please remember: writing a document isn't hard nor difficult, but maintaining
64 one is. Especially in case of an installation document which needs to be
65 fixed asap as it is too important.
66
67 I am going to continuously remove guides if they aren't maintained
68 sufficiently. One thing I completely dislike about TLDP is that they have
69 HOWTOs that are seriously outdated. I don't want this to happen with the
70 Gentoo documentation. I rather have less documents but in a perfect condition
71 than many documents of which more than 50% is outdated, incomplete or plain
72 wrong.
73
74 *And* I'm also tired of developing ways to present documentation than to
75 write documentation. The last few months we've had almost everything: XML
76 changes, XML checking, syntax changes, PDF generation, stylesheet changes,
77 one-page viewing, ... but hardly any new documents. I therefore decided not
78 to work on this "metadata" anymore (personally - not GDP-global) but only
79 write up documents.
80
81 Wkr,
82 Sven Vermeulen