From: Alan <alan@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Concerns about the new install guide
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:58:52
1 > > I'm concerned that the new guide, which covers not only x86 but all
2 > > architectures in a massive document is not going to be helpful for a
3 > > relatively new user who just wants to get it installed on their PowerMac
4 > > or their new Pentium 4. Commentary is a good thing, and inclusion of
5 > > instructions for all architectures is slick, but I think it needs to be
6 > > moderated slightly.
7 > >
8 > gentoo was not developed for the "new user" in mind.
9
10 As a non-new gentoo user I have issues with the guide as well. I did a
11 new install not that long ago and decided to print out the entire guide
12 for my own reference at the COLO where I was doing the install. A few
13 hundred pages later I had a tome to take with me that had pages that I
14 discarded or sections crossed out (other architectures) and still had to
15 carefully go through and figure out only the essance of what was needed.
16
17 I'm not sure exactly who the current install guide is aimed at. It's
18 complete, but maybe more along the LFS book than a proper install guide.
19 I'd like to see what one of the other posters mentioned, something
20 short, to the point, maybe 2-5 pages long with the steps needed for
21 $myfavoritearch to install with examples and commands needed. Something
22 a bit more complete than "chroot" but less complete than what's there
23 now.
24
25 Of course, as a bug is posted and a GEP is in progress, soon all will be
26 fixed up :)
29 Alan <alan@×××××.org> - http://arcterex.net
31 "There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain
32 climbing. All the others are mere games." -- Hemingway
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list