From: fred gates <dabozz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Concerns about the new install guide
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:20:16
1 > Hi all,
2 >
3 > I have a few concerns about the new install-guide. The documentation
4 > within it is quite complete, and is able to guide a user from the
5 > beginning to the end of an install of Gentoo, but it's getting out of
6 > hand.
7 >
8 > When I began using Gentoo there was a 12 page long text file which
9 > detailed the steps to take and a few alternatives. Compressed, and
10 > without verbiate description, the entire guide was able to be shrunk
11 > down to about a page and a half (on x86 CD's, for 1.2).
12 >
13 > The original guides, the text files, gave someone a feel for the install
14 > itself, as in the basic steps. Network config, partition, format, unzip
15 > a stage, copy resolv.conf, chroot, sync, bootstrap, system,
16 > kernel/syslogd/cron, lilo.conf, fstab, done.
17 >
18 > I'm concerned that the new guide, which covers not only x86 but all
19 > architectures in a massive document is not going to be helpful for a
20 > relatively new user who just wants to get it installed on their PowerMac
21 > or their new Pentium 4. Commentary is a good thing, and inclusion of
22 > instructions for all architectures is slick, but I think it needs to be
23 > moderated slightly.
24 >
25 gentoo was not developed for the "new user" in mind.
29 dabozz@××××××××××××.org
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list