From: Brad Laue <brad@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Concerns about the new install guide
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 17:14:59
1 Hi all,
2
3 I have a few concerns about the new install-guide. The documentation
4 within it is quite complete, and is able to guide a user from the
5 beginning to the end of an install of Gentoo, but it's getting out of hand.
6
7 When I began using Gentoo there was a 12 page long text file which
8 detailed the steps to take and a few alternatives. Compressed, and
9 without verbiate description, the entire guide was able to be shrunk
10 down to about a page and a half (on x86 CD's, for 1.2).
11
12 The original guides, the text files, gave someone a feel for the install
13 itself, as in the basic steps. Network config, partition, format, unzip
14 a stage, copy resolv.conf, chroot, sync, bootstrap, system,
15 kernel/syslogd/cron, lilo.conf, fstab, done.
16
17 I'm concerned that the new guide, which covers not only x86 but all
18 architectures in a massive document is not going to be helpful for a
19 relatively new user who just wants to get it installed on their PowerMac
20 or their new Pentium 4. Commentary is a good thing, and inclusion of
21 instructions for all architectures is slick, but I think it needs to be
22 moderated slightly.
23
24 For example, clever use of XML can allow us to write an entire
25 installation guide for all architectures in one common base of
26 documents, and then can allow us to selectively generate a guide for x86
27 or SPARC on the fly. This would keep maintenance hassle to the same
28 minimum it's at now, and would make installation instructions much
29 clearer for the new reader (instead of reading and skipping, reading and
30 skipping, and hoping he/she hasn't gone too far).
31
32 More than anything else, one has to figure out for ones self what the
33 basic steps (outlined above) for installing Gentoo are; while this seems
34 a minor thing, it's one of the aspects of the original Gentoo
35 installation guide which struck me the most. After my first install I
36 knew all the steps, and hardly had to refer back to the installation
37 guide for coaching. I doubt that if I started out now, I'd get such a
38 clear idea of what's required after my first read-through of the guide.
39
40 Finally, I think the multi-page version is a good document to keep
41 around. It's great on the website as it expands upon the installation
42 process and how it works, and what's good/bad about various options,
43 which keeps people informed. But at the very least, is it possible to
44 consider placing a condensed set of installation instructions similar to
45 those present back in the day of 1.2 on the CD's themselves?
46
47 Brad
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list