From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 13:37:16
1 El mar, 25-07-2017 a las 23:10 +1000, Michael Palimaka escribió:
2 > On 07/25/2017 05:22 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
3 > > First, the assumption in our processes seems to be that many or
4 > > important bugs will be due to architecture-specific differences, and I
5 > > wonder if that assumption really holds up. Do arch testers for a smaller
6 > > arch often find problems that were not noticed on one of the larger
7 > > arches? With the languages and tools that we have today, it seems like
8 > > for many of our packages, bugs due to architectural differences
9 > > represent a minority of the problems we found. In this case, the whole
10 > > idea of per-arch stabilization does not really make sense, and doing
11 > > away with that idea could drastically shortcut our process.
12 >
13 > This would be really interesting to know.
14
15 Anyway, I think it depends on the arch you are running. I remember to have seen
16 specific issues for ia64, hppa, ppc64 or arm. But, for example, I agree that,
17 *at present time*, I don't remember to have seen a package failing on x86 and
18 not on amd64 for example (well, I now remember a past systemd upstream runtime
19 bug that was catched in testing period ;)).
20
21 Then, I guess it depends on each arch. For example, for x86 it could be probably
22 done if things work on amd64 :/. Between ppc and ppc64 I don't know. For the
23 others, I don't think that we can extrapolate between amd64 and ia64 for example
24 (I remember important runtime issues to be catched only affecting ia64 for
25 example).