From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 13:10:32
1 On 07/25/2017 05:22 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
2 > First, the assumption in our processes seems to be that many or
3 > important bugs will be due to architecture-specific differences, and I
4 > wonder if that assumption really holds up. Do arch testers for a smaller
5 > arch often find problems that were not noticed on one of the larger
6 > arches? With the languages and tools that we have today, it seems like
7 > for many of our packages, bugs due to architectural differences
8 > represent a minority of the problems we found. In this case, the whole
9 > idea of per-arch stabilization does not really make sense, and doing
10 > away with that idea could drastically shortcut our process.
11
12 This would be really interesting to know.
13
14 > Second, I believe a lot of the value in our stable tree comes *just*
15 > from the requirement that stabilization is only requested after 30 days
16 > without major bugs/changes in the unstable tree. Assuming there are
17 > enough users of a package on unstable, that means important bugs can be
18 > shaken out before a version hits stable. This could mean that
19 > potentially, even if we inverted our entire model to say we
20 > "automatically" stabilize after a 30-day period without major bugs, we
21 > hit most of the value of the stable tree with again drastically reduced
22 > pain/work.
23
24 The 30 day waiting period is useful for smoking out major upstream bugs,
25 but can't replace stabilisation integration testing. For example,
26 package foobar may build fine in ~arch but fails in stable because it
27 needs a newer libbaz.