From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 07:22:38
1 On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 11:22 PM, Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > TL;DR;TL;DR:
5 > ------------
6 >
7 > This email seeks for one step towards less toil tied to gentoo's
8 > keywording/stabilization process. I've CCed a few groups who
9 > might be interested in making this area better:
10 >
11 > - gentoo-dev@ as it affects most devs (and non-devs!)
12 > - wg-stable@ as it overlaps quite a bit with efforts staged on STABLEREQ
13 > (should I join? :)
14 > - arch-leads@ as it directly helps (or breaks everything for) arch teams
15 > - all individual arches for wider visibility
18 Thanks for kicking off this discussion. As a stable user, this is an
19 important topic to me.
20
21 Your email is kind of long, and I wonder if we can condense the problem
22 back to simpler first principles.
23
24 First, the assumption in our processes seems to be that many or important
25 bugs will be due to architecture-specific differences, and I wonder if that
26 assumption really holds up. Do arch testers for a smaller arch often find
27 problems that were not noticed on one of the larger arches? With the
28 languages and tools that we have today, it seems like for many of our
29 packages, bugs due to architectural differences represent a minority of the
30 problems we found. In this case, the whole idea of per-arch stabilization
31 does not really make sense, and doing away with that idea could drastically
32 shortcut our process.
33
34 Second, I believe a lot of the value in our stable tree comes *just* from
35 the requirement that stabilization is only requested after 30 days without
36 major bugs/changes in the unstable tree. Assuming there are enough users of
37 a package on unstable, that means important bugs can be shaken out before a
38 version hits stable. This could mean that potentially, even if we inverted
39 our entire model to say we "automatically" stabilize after a 30-day period
40 without major bugs, we hit most of the value of the stable tree with again
41 drastically reduced pain/work.
42
43 Cheers,
44