From: Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 18:08:32
1 On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 09:22:08 +0200
2 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Second, I believe a lot of the value in our stable tree comes *just*
5 > from the requirement that stabilization is only requested after 30
6 > days without major bugs/changes in the unstable tree. Assuming there
7 > are enough users of a package on unstable, that means important bugs
8 > can be shaken out before a version hits stable. This could mean that
9 > potentially, even if we inverted our entire model to say we
10 > "automatically" stabilize after a 30-day period without major bugs,
11 > we hit most of the value of the stable tree with again drastically
12 > reduced pain/work.
13
14 I’m a stable user when I can be. I use Gentoo for the configurability,
15 not for instant access to the newest versions of things.
16
17 I think this is a fairly reasonable proposal if stabilization is
18 otherwise happening too slowly right now. If 30 days with no bugs plus
19 an automated successful build against an otherwise-stable set of
20 dependencies led to an automatic stabilization, I’d be fine with that.
21 Some clarification would be needed on what bugs block stabilization,
22 and of course there would need to be a flag that maintainers could add
23 to specific ebuilds to indicate whether or not they’re stabilization
24 candidates (though I wonder if it would be better to flag the ones that
25 *aren’t* candidates, rather than the ones that *are*).
26 --
27 Christopher Head