From: Peter Weller <welp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:51:18
1 On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 21:47:42 +0200
9 On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 23:29:15 +0200
17 On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:06:34 +0100
20 [..snip..]
21 > welp
22 [..snip..]
25 On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:27:18 -0400
26 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
27
28 > All,
29 >
30 > You've all stated that you accept or don't accept (but this is
31 > targeted at the acceptors, sorry non-acceptors) but the people that
32 > accept haven't really given much reason as to why they would be a good
33 > candidate.
34 [..snip..]
35 > --
36 > Doug Goldstein
37
38 Yes, I will accept.
39
40 My main plans over the next few years would be to improve
41 communications (and (more importantly?) openness), not just between
42 developers, but also between herds, users, the Council, the Trustees,
43 upstream and so on. I'd particularly want to ensure that there is better
44 communication between us (Gentoo) and projects such as Sabayon Linux
45 and Ainkaboot, as I believe that we can all make use of each other's
46 skills and ideas to provide better distribution(s). I'd encourage
47 "innovative" ideas and projects, such as the inclusion of, for example,
48 XGL/Compiz/Beryl/Compiz-Fusion or whatever it's called these days. I'd
49 also encourage the introduction of targets, as discussed by antarus on
50 the -core ML. And all that kinda stuff.
51
52 Now, I'm sure that a number of you would prefer everything to be
53 closed, kept private within a number of individuals, but if that *is*
54 the case, why on Earth are you involved with an *Open* Source project,
55 such as Gentoo? Wouldn't you be better off using the likes of Adobe's
56 products and Microsoft's products?
57
58 Yes, I am quite young. Yes, I could be considered relatively new to the
59 project. Yes, I might make mistakes, but I also *learn* from mistakes,
60 which some people seem to find hard. Being young/relatively new to the
61 project will allow me to potentially bring a fresh view on things, that
62 some of you old fuddy-duddies may or may not have thought of before.
63 And isn't that what Gentoo is about? New ideas, innovation, fresh
64 views, etc, etc. Anyway. Meh. I'm starting to waffle on.
65
66 And I'm moving house at the beginning of August, I'm also going to
67 France sometime in August. Just some advanced warnings that I may not
68 be around so much during the voting period.
69
70 Bai!