From: Christian Birchinger <joker@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:51:44
1 Hello
2 That would mean additional very uninteresting work. Work people
3 usualy only do when they get paid for it and not as hobby.
4
5 I don't mean that as bad as it may sound. Ofcourse you always
6 have to do stuff you maybe don't like that much. You do this
7 because you like the whole thing and know that it's good for
8 the project but telling the developer to maintain another tree
9 which he never uses himself is maybe a bit too much.
10
11 The quallity could suffer even if he agrees to maintain a 2nd
12 tree simply because he never really uses it himself.
13
14 I think the only usable way to this is when a defined group
15 of devs do only maintain the stable tree. Now you need devs
16 which are happy with doing only this.
17
18 When all devs do both trees it wouldn't be that great i guess.
19 Not because they are evil or lazy. It's because uninteresting
20 work automaticaly gets the lowest priorty. Many ~arch ebuilds
21 which are ~arch for months simply because noone marks them
22 stable prove it. And the initial reason for the stable tree
23 is to get something really stable and perfectly working and
24 ultra super tested and never breaking.
25
26 Well, personaly i don't really like maintaining 2 trees. Mostly
27 for the above said reasons. I'd also need another installation
28 for the testing and stuff. But i would never really use the
29 tree myself. And as you all know, the most bugs and problems
30 are found in a real running and used environment. Ok, that's
31 my personal opinion but the above reasons are valid for more
32 than myself i think.
33
34 Christian
35