From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: new category, app-containers
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 17:14:47
1 On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 1:06 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 07:00:05PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> On śro, 2017-06-14 at 11:11 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
4 >> > All,
5 >> >
6 >> > I am about to write two new ebuilds for packages for Gentoo that are for
7 >> > container-related utilities.
8 >> >
9 >> > Currently, the best place to put them would be app-emulation, or
10 >> > app-misc or dev-util, probably app-emulation would be my first choice.
11 >> >
12 >> > Is it time to start thinking about an app-containers category?
13 >> > If so, is it ok for me to start an app-containers category with these
14 >> > packages then we can look into moving other packages to it?
15 >> >
16 >>
17 >> You don't create a new category for two packages. Do you have more use
18 >> cases for it? I think usually people provide a fair number of existing
19 >> packages that are in different categories to prove the necessity
20 >> of a new category.
21 >
22 > I know this, that is why I brought it up actually. I'm working on these
23 > ebuilds and was going to pre-empt a package move for them by opening up
24 > a discussion about a category now.
25 >
26 > There are multiple packages under app-emulation that are container
27 > related vs emulation/vm related that could be moved and there is one at
28 > least under dev-util (dev-util/docker-ls).
31 Some likely candidates for the new category (excerpt from eix -S container):
32
33 * app-emulation/docker
35 images and run Docker containers
36
37 * app-emulation/docker-compose
40 * app-emulation/docker-gc
43 * app-emulation/docker-machine
46 * app-emulation/docker-proxy
49 * app-emulation/docker-runc
52 * app-emulation/flannel
55 * app-emulation/lxc
58 * app-emulation/lxd
61 * app-emulation/rkt
64 * app-emulation/runc
67 * app-emulation/s6-overlay
70 * dev-util/docker-distribution-pruner
73 * sys-apps/lmctfy
76 * sys-cluster/singularity
79 * sys-cluster/vzctl