From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: new category, app-containers
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 17:06:43
1 On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 07:00:05PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On śro, 2017-06-14 at 11:11 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > All,
4 > >
5 > > I am about to write two new ebuilds for packages for Gentoo that are for
6 > > container-related utilities.
7 > >
8 > > Currently, the best place to put them would be app-emulation, or
9 > > app-misc or dev-util, probably app-emulation would be my first choice.
10 > >
11 > > Is it time to start thinking about an app-containers category?
12 > > If so, is it ok for me to start an app-containers category with these
13 > > packages then we can look into moving other packages to it?
16 > You don't create a new category for two packages. Do you have more use
17 > cases for it? I think usually people provide a fair number of existing
18 > packages that are in different categories to prove the necessity
19 > of a new category.
20
21 I know this, that is why I brought it up actually. I'm working on these
22 ebuilds and was going to pre-empt a package move for them by opening up
23 a discussion about a category now.
24
25 There are multiple packages under app-emulation that are container
26 related vs emulation/vm related that could be moved and there is one at
27 least under dev-util (dev-util/docker-ls).